What Am I leaving When I'm Done Here?

I dreamed I was missing
You were so scared
But no one would listen
'Cause no one else cared



After my dreaming
I woke with this fear
What am I leaving
When I'm done here?



So if you're asking me
I want you to know



When my time comes
Forget the wrong that I've done
Help me leave behind some
Reasons to be missed

And don't resent me
And when you're feeling empty
Keep me in your memory
Leave out all the rest, leave out all the rest



Don't be afraid
I've taken my beating
I've shared what I made

I'm strong on the surface
Not all the way through
I've never been perfect
But neither have you



So if you're asking me
I want you to know



When my time comes
Forget the wrong that I've done
Help me leave behind some
Reasons to be missed

Don't resent me
And when you're feeling empty
Keep me in your memory
Leave out all the rest, leave out all the rest



Forgetting all the hurt inside
You've learned to hide so well
Pretending someone else can come
And save me from myself
I can't be who you are



When my time comes
Forget the wrong that I've done
Help me leave behind some
Reasons to be missed

Don't resent me
And when you're feeling empty
Keep me in your memory
Leave out all the rest, leave out all the rest



Forgetting all the hurt inside
You've learned to hide so well
Pretending someone else can come
And save me from myself
I can't be who you are
I can't be who you are



-Leave Out All The Rest
Linkin' Park



This song was released in 2007. I remember feeling a deep impact from this song the first time I heard it. And for years, I've been meaning to write a blog about it.


They say that change is the only thing constant in this world. I half agree. I think that change and death are the only things constant in this world. Think about it. It's true.


I love life. I'm in love with living. Life is beautiful. Being alive is magical! But believing so didn't stop me from thinking about our mortality. How short life can be and how unexpected death really is.


The thought that we can die anytime, any day, without warning, without knowing that it would be our last day on earth, is always present in my mind.


I take YOLO as a warning. I read it somewhere and realized that I believed that too. You Only Live Once. Right. And while people make use of this infamous phrase to do stupid things, I am a part of the minority that takes this seriously and rather, do things that will help me leave an impact to the people I care about. After I'm gone.


Raised to be independent, knowing my priorities, what I want, and doing the things I want to as well as those that make me happy, I followed the path where I can smile, laugh, and be happy. I love that I'm a happy virus - to me and to the people around me as well.


I make people happy. How many times have I heard people tell me this? I didn't count but it doesn't mean that I wasn't elated by that. I love it. I love knowing that I have such positive impact on people.


And so, when I'm done here, I'd love to be remembered for my smiles, my laughter.


You can cry.

It's natural.

But I would love it more if you can smile after...

laugh even as you remember our happy times together and the silly things I do to make you laugh. :)



Xerlyn
February 29, 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment

5 Days in Seoul: Day 3 - Nami Island, Petite France, and Myeongdong (Part 2 of 3)

Petite France, Gyeonggi Province, South Korea From Nami Island to Petit France, we simply rode the ferry back out then walked back to ...