Apo Reef Beachineering 2016: Day 2


January 17, 2016
Day 2


As what's usual for me, I woke up early the following day. And yes, gotta catch that sunrise! :)


Here it is! It sort of looks like a sunset but it's beautiful nonetheless. Good morning from a far off island of Occidental Mindoro, Philippines!



Here's another one.


My travel buddy. :)



There are 2 types of sand in the island. One is that fine white sand you saw on my footprints in the sand photo and the second one is this. Both feels great on the sole. ;)



I tried to do the Panorama thing on my camera and this is what I came up with. I don't think I know how to do it right. :P



Here is the other side of the island (opposite the lighthouse). 



Again after this little wandering, I came back to the camp and had a delicious breakfast of sopas. I forgot to say that our dinner from the past night is also great! And the lunch that follows this breakfast, and the dinner after, and the breakfast on our last day in the island as well. Yum!


What came next is a new magical experience for me. Although I've gone snorkeling to various seas before, what set this experience from the rest is that I have an underwater camera with me! Hoorah! It's the first and I'm soooo giddy to try and take pictures and show my family the wonderful things I see under the sea! Haha!


So, here are the photos. They're not much but, hey, I had a lot of fun! :D (I actually have a video. Will try to post that here too.)









For snorkeling, we anchored at around 20 ft deep. I got a little seasick but I didn't allow myself to go with the others who went back to the island to rest. I couldn't allow that. I have to see the tour through and so, I swallowed the dizziness and stayed in the boat.


Lunch done, Sir Ronie (the event organizer) announced that we are now set for the next leg of our adventure. That is, getting off the boat, holding on to the ropes attached on the sides, and getting dragged along. Yup! Dragged! With goggles on and a firm grip on the rope, we marveled at the beauty of the life under the sea.


I love it. It's a new experience for me and it's one that I will always remember with a smile. :)


A few notes about this fun adventure: 

1. I don't have the breathing apparatus usually attached to snorkeling masks, so I had to lift my head up every 10 seconds or less.

2. We saw lots of different species of fish and corals of different colors and sizes as well.

3. We also saw a diver and her instructor down there! Fun!

4. One time, we passed an area of the sea where the corals are all white and dead. It's sad. Really.

5. The time was too short. I think it didn't even last 15 minutes which is a bummer! I would've loved it to go on and on. Haha!


Just couldn't let the chance pass to take this photo on the nose of the boat while we are anchored and have the South China Sea as my background. :)



Not long after that, we headed back to the island and to the camp. While the others enjoy their siesta time, I went here to read the book I carried for the trip: James Patterson's Cat and Mouse.


It's so pleasant to the senses. <3


Lying on my back on one of the benches, here's what I'm staring at: canopy of leafy greens. <3



On my side is the ocean and sand and cool sea breeze. Lovely!



A little past 4pm, everyone gathered up once again to explore the island. We went to the "rock formation" which was actually giant dead corals.






After that, we headed to the Lagoon on the other side and on the way to the Lighthouse. 



The island being remote, they use solar panels! I saw that they also do this on the Sablayan Port. Kewl!


On the way to the Lagoon. It's just BEAU.TI.FUL!!



That bamboo bridge is already being renovated, so maybe when you visit, it will all be safest to walk on. ;)


Mangroves! I had to ask a local if there are crocodiles in there, but he laughed and said that it's salt water, making me realize that crocodiles only live in brackish water and wouldn't survive in salt water. Phew!


The Lagoon! It's soo beautiful and so I tried that Panorama setting once more. This time, I'm happy to announce that I did it! Haha!


Chasing sunset, we then ran towards the Lighthouse!



And yes, we did manage to catch the sunset. :) This is our view from up the Lighthouse. Magical!


The island from up above. :)



Had to have this taken. :P


The body of water you see here is the Lagoon from earlier. :)

Here are some of the photos taken by my fellow travelers. :)

Back in the lagoon. Photo taken by Camille with her DSLR. :)

Descending from the Lighthouse. Photo taken by Leah with their GoPro.

Me exploring the giant corals. Photo taken by Nash with his GoPro.

When Chock almost dropped his camera (or was it one of his lenses?) Photo taken by Sir Ronie.

Commotion over, we posed for the camera. :)

I looked like I don't have any articles of clothing here. Hehe. Look at how high from the ground we are!

Last 2 photos taken by Myk.



We stayed in the Lighthouse as long as the light permits. By the time we made it back to camp, it was already dark. During dinner, 3 of our fellow campers shared their ghost story. 


The bathroom was located a little far off from the camp and with limited source of energy, the lighting is a little poor too. That night, I slept without washing up. *sca~~ry!

No comments:

Post a Comment

5 Days in Seoul: Day 3 - Nami Island, Petite France, and Myeongdong (Part 2 of 3)

Petite France, Gyeonggi Province, South Korea From Nami Island to Petit France, we simply rode the ferry back out then walked back to ...