Talk: How Difficult Is It To Do?

(Image source: http://www.hutoko-tisaku.biz/)

If you try and search for the importance of talking on the world wide web, you’ll find plenty articles. Some of them talks about the importance of talking to children (helps with their learning, speaking, and listening development), while some focuses on relieving one's stress.


Yes, talking relieves people of stress.


One article said that talking when you’re stressed helps clear your mind. In turn, you get to hear other people's opinion on the matter which allows you to see the issue in another perspective. Hopefully, you’d get to learn how to handle the matter at hand by listening to another mind. 


The idea of discussing about talking to people came when an incident happened at home. One misunderstanding that could’ve been avoided had the other party talk to the other.


Misunderstandings. How many of these have we experienced in our lifetime? I think it’s safe to assume that there’ve been a lot already. Some of them benign while some large enough to cost a relationship -- both romantic and platonic.


Once, I’ve experienced being misunderstood. I hated it. But the worst part is that no talking was done. Apologies were offered which I accepted (sa ngalan ng pinagsamahan). But the damage has been done. I’ve been hurt and no soothing words, explaining what happened, played as a comforting balm to any of the scratches. I let it slide. Moved on with my life.


Even before then, I believe that talking will resolve things. Since, I think college, I’ve been trying to be a better version of myself every day. With this mission comes the oath to always try and step in the shoes of other people in hopes of understanding their thoughts and opinions on things. By doing this, I relieve myself from hating on people because of what they do and what they say. Putting myself in their shoes allowed me to make myself understand the intention behind the words and the actions. Hate what they say or do, understand people.

According to a website: 

"Sharing your burden can often help lighten the load, and knowing that you have someone to talk things through and discuss your issues with can often promote a far more upbeat and positive feeling. Bottling things up and letting the stress fester is the worst thing that you can do, as this fails to solve anything and simply enhances the stress.

Many people are frightened to talk things through because they think that discussing their problems is a sign of weakness. However, it is actually the opposite - talking shows that you want to find an effective solution, that you are prepared to look at all options and that you are not too proud to ask for help in times of need.


Talking about the issues and problems that are causing you to become stressed is a healthy and effective way of channeling your emotions and promoting a far more positive outlook through a network of support and understanding. This support will help to remedy any feelings of isolation and can help reduce stress levels considerably."


Whenever I get the chance, I tell people to talk, communicate, and tell the other party what their thoughts are, so the other would understand their points of view. This is what I've been doing and is pleased with how easily people can talk to me, knowing that I usually think things through before giving my 2 cents on the matter.


Even my 1 year-old niece, I've been teaching her to tell me what she wants and not just scream and cry, expecting me to give her everything until she's satisfied. She can talk. Humans can talk. Why not make use of the greatest advantage we got as the top primate in the animal kingdom?

No comments:

Post a Comment

5 Days in Seoul: Day 3 - Nami Island, Petite France, and Myeongdong (Part 2 of 3)

Petite France, Gyeonggi Province, South Korea From Nami Island to Petit France, we simply rode the ferry back out then walked back to ...